11.2.1 SOCIAL WORK COMPETENCIES FOR ASSIGNMENT #2
Assignment #2 covers competencies 3, 4, and 7
11.2.2 ASSIGNMENT DESCRIPTION & INSTRUCTIONS
THIS BIBLIOGRAPHY SHOULD BE BETWEEN 5 PAGES AND 8 PAGES (Excluding title page). It should be submitted as a Word document. It should be double-spaced, have 12-point font, 1-inch margins, and left aligned. See rubric on Blackboard.
Your annotated bibliography should follow APA style (7th edition). See
“Guidance on Writing an Annotated Bibliography and FAQs” on Blackboard. I have attached this please look at it’s called “example”
The annotated bibliography can serve as the foundation for your final paper or to increase your knowledge in a selected area.
- Briefly summarize the population and clinical issue that are the focus of the annotated bibliography in a paragraph
- Select a child and adolescent population either like those you are currently working with or from the literature. The populations can be characterized by:
- Identity (e.g., racial/ethnicity, gender, sexuality, etc.) and/or
- Context (e.g., students, foster care youth, juvenile involved youth, children in hospitals) and/or
- Developmental period (e.g., toddlers, middle childhood, etc.)
- Then select a clinical practice topic relevant to your selected population. The topic could be about clinical issues you are encountering in your internships or jobs or from the literature. Examples include depression, suicide, eating disorders, autism, racial trauma, palliative care, etc. ‘
- Provide critical annotations for 6 – 8 articles or reports (sources) relevant to the population and the clinical practice issue (I want 7)
- Your sources should be either 1) peer reviewed academic articles; and/or 2) reports from governments, research institutes, foundations, or advocacy groups (e.g., National Institute on Mental Health [NIH], Children’s Defense Fund, The National Child Traumatic Stress Network, etc.). Your sources can focus on theory, development, or interventions.
- At least 4 of your sources should be academic articles. Only one of your sources can be from the syllabus.
- For each source, list the reference and write a critical annotation. A critical annotation not only summarizes the source but also analyzes the information. Each annotation should be one paragraph. It should include:
- A brief summary or description of the source
- A discussion of the strengths and weaknesses of the source (Evaluation and Analysis)
- An explanation of how this source increases your knowledge about this population and clinical practice issue
- The practice implications of this information
For more guidance, read “Guidance on Writing an Annotated Bibliography and FAQs” on Blackboard
This is just for you to know that both assignments are linked
11.3 ASSIGNMENT #3: Final Paper: A Case Study
Submit using Blackboard by clicking on “Content” in the menu to the left, opening the folder, “Assignment Submissions”, and clicking on “Assignment #4: Final Paper.”
11.3.1 SOCIAL WORK COMPETENCIES FOR ASSIGNMENT #3
Assignment 32 covers competencies 4, 6, 7, and 8
11.3.2 ASSIGNMENT DESCRIPTION & INSTRUCTIONS
For the final assignment, students will write a paper focused on the assessment and intervention for children and adolescents. See rubric on Blackboard.
Please incorporate a minimum of 10 references, APA style. Each reference should be cited at least once in the paper. Your references should cover one or more of the following areas: development, theory, or intervention approaches. You can focus on one or all these areas in relation to your client’s clinical issue.
Remember that you can use the references from your annotated bibliography.
For the final assignment, you can either submit a paper or a video.
- Paper: The paper should be between 7 – 9 pages in Word format (double- spaced, 12-point, 1-inch margins, left aligned). Minimum of 10 references containing both course and outside readings.
- Video: The video should be between 15-20 minutes long (m4 format only). Powerpoint slides can be used but are not required (please do not just read from the slides in the video). If you are doing a video, either submit a list of references or include a slide in your recording.
If you are submitting a paper, it should be in Word format. If you are submitting a video, the video should be in mp4 format.
If you have a child or adolescent client in your current placement and have enough information to answer questions, you can use that case. If you are not working with children or adolescent clients in your current internship, you may use a client you worked with in the past. Make sure to protect confidentiality.
If you do not have any past or current child and adolescent client, then you should create a client based on demographics and experiences from research.
If you are not sure about 1) whether you have enough information for a client or 2) how to develop a client from the research, talk to the instructor ASAP.
USE THE FOLLOWING HEADINGS TO STRUCTURE YOUR PAPER.
- Description of Client and Problem (2 – 2.5 pages)
- Referral Source and Your Context. One sentence about the referral source (e.g., self-referral, agency, mandated, etc.): Another sentence should discuss the context you are working with children and adolescents (e.g., your agency, school, system, etc.).
- If your case is based on research, select a fictitious context for your clinical work (e.g., your agency, school, etc.).
- Description of Client (one paragraph): Age, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, social class, family constellation, ability, health issues.
- Presenting Issues and Concerns (1-2 paragraphs): What does the referral source say the issue is? What is the client’s perspective on the issue? What is the family’s perspective of the issue? What are others’ (e.g., peers, teachers, other adults in the community) perspectives of the issue?
- If your case is based research, discuss how, according to the literature, the clinical issue may depend on interpersonal factors
- Assessment of Contextual and Intrapersonal Factors (at least 2 paragraphs):
- Describe the child’s or adolescent’s family (biological and non-biological)? What is their perspective on the issue? Strengths?
- If your case is based research, refer to research on how familial support systems can influence the clinical issue within your client.
- What contexts and systems directly or indirectly affect the child or adolescent? Describe the strengths and challenges of the contexts and systems. Oppression related to the client’s demographics should be considered.
- Liberation Health Formulation (1.5 – 1 page)
In the formulation, consider the personal, cultural, and institutional factors that impact the child or adolescent. If your case is based on research, then you can follow the guidelines below for the formulation and consider what factors could impact a child (See LH formulation examples on Blackboard)
- For the personal factors, list the client’s challenges (e.g., mental health functioning, other existing issues) and/or
- For cultural factors, consider the ideologies that could affect your client and their perception of the clinical issue.
- For institutional factors, think of the institutions that your client interacts with discuss the potential strengths and/or challenges associated these interactions.
- Intervention (at least 2 pages)
- What are the treatment goals and objectives?
- What interventions will you use to address the goals and objectives?
- You must discuss at least one evidence- or practice-based child and adolescent intervention based on the literature.
- You may discuss other interventions that are appropriate for your client including those you have done or currently doing with your client.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of your evidence- or practice-based intervention. Explicitly discuss how your client’s developmental level and culture was considered in your choice of intervention. You can either refer to the literature or use the website links from Class 4 (see 10.4) to demonstrate the appropriateness of the intervention.
- Treatment (at least 2 pages)
- How would you incorporate this intervention in your clinical work with your client? Explain what techniques and strategies you would use with the intervention.
- In your discussion, you can provide a sample dialogue to demonstrate how you would incorporate the evidence- or practice-based intervention into session interactions with your client. These instructions apply to papers and videos.
- Briefly discuss how you would evaluate progress (1-2 sentences).