The purpose of this assignment is to examine the role technology plays in health care ethics.
Though technology, in its increasing ubiquity, largely serves to simplify and make more convenient many daily processes, the extent to which people use and are reliant on technology means that the potential for a vulnerable attack is also heightened. Health care technology has made massive strides in improving quality patient care, making telehealth more accessible to the masses, and cutting down on unnecessary costs. But the more data are digitized, the greater the probability of a breach.
Imagine a scenario in which it was discovered that a company producing wearable fitness-tracking devices had been selling confidential consumer data to the consumers’ health insurance company. Based off of the data consumers had been entering in their fitness-tracking app, this third-party insurance company was then able to suggest health and life insurance plans that would best meet the needs of their clients.
In a paper of 500-750 words, address the following points:
1. How is this scenario an example of an ethics breach? In what ways were both entities responsible for violating consumer confidentiality?
2. What consequences might both companies face as a result of this breach?
3. Moving forward, what changes would the health insurance company need to implement in order to ensure that their communications with customers and corporations comply with HIPAA?
4. Suppose that a customer had updated a health insurance plan based off of a recommendation made by the insurance company, founded on information received illicitly from the fitness-tracking company. If the customer had a medical emergency that required the use of that added health insurance coverage, is the insurance company still in the wrong? Is the fitness-tracking company still in the wrong? If the misuse of customer data helped to save a patient’s life, was there still a breach of ethics? Explain your position.
5. How will a renewed commitment by both corporations to honor the confidentiality of customer information serve to promote the common good? How is ethical decision making within a business setting consistent with the Christian worldview (CWV)?
APA Style Guide
This assignment assesses the following programmatic competency:
BS Health Care Administration
2.3: Identify appropriate practices regarding respectful and confidential communication in compliance with HIPAA.
Ethics Breach and Confidentiality Violation
An explanation of how the scenario represents an ethics breach and violation of consumer confidentiality is thoroughly explored and clearly explained with relevant details and support.
An explanation of potential consequences both companies might face as a result of the breach is thoroughly explored and clearly explained with relevant details and support.
Communication Changes Needed to Be HIPAA Compliant (C2.3)
An explanation of the changes the health insurance company would need to implement to ensure its communications with customers and corporations complied with HIPAA is thoroughly explored and clearly explained with relevant details and support.
An exploration of the ethics in a case scenario where the breach ended up positively benefiting a consumer is thoroughly explored and clearly explained with relevant details and support.
Ethical Decision Making
An exploration of how ethical decision making and a renewed commitment to customer confidentiality align with the Christian worldview is thoroughly explored and clearly explained with relevant details and support.
Thesis Development and Purpose
Thesis is comprehensive and contains the essence of the paper. Thesis statement makes the purpose of the paper clear.
Argument Logic and Construction
Clear and convincing argument presents a persuasive claim in a distinctive and compelling manner. All sources are authoritative.