After the Capulet party, why can’t Benvolio and Mercutio find Romeo?
After the party, Romeo hides from his friends, Benvolio and Mercutio as he wanted to spend more time with his new lover Juliet as in (2.1.1-2) “Can I go forward when my heart is here? Turn back, dull earth, and find thy center out.”
- Juliet warns Romeo that he is not safe at her house because…
Juliet warns Romeo that he is not safe at her house because he could be easily killed; Act 2 scene 2 “The orchard walls are high and hard to climb, and the place death, considering who art, If any of my kinsmen find thee here.” Her cousin Tybalt wanted to kill him during the party as they were family enemies
- Why does Juliet want Romeo to marry her other than her love for him?
After Juliet realized that Romeo had heard her confession about her love towards him, she feared that he could take her for granted hence she asked for Romeo to marry immediately.
Scenes 3, 4 and 5
- Why has Romeo been up all night when he visits Friar Lawrence?
According to the Holy Man, Romeo was worried about something, and his worries woke him up so early. In (2.3.38) “where care lodges, sleep will never lie”.
- How does Friar Lawrence agree to help Romeo and Juliet?
Friar Lawrence agrees to help Romeo and Juliet by conducting a secret wedding, since he saw that the marriage between the two will solve the enmity between the Montagues and the Capulets.
- Who is the “Prince of Cats” according to Mercutio? What might the nickname foreshadow?
In Act Two Scene four, Mercutio nicknames Tybalt as a “Prince of Cats”. This nickname foreshadow that Tybalt will kill someone since he is a fast swordsman, keeps on taking risks, and because he has nine lives.
- What does Romeo ask the nurse to do?
Romeo ask the nurse to pass his message to Juliet that she should make every effort of getting to a confession “shrift” that afternoon. He also goes ahead and ask her to wait behind the abbey wall during the secret wedding. Romeo`s slave will bring her a rope ladder, which Romeo will use to climb to Juliet`s bedroom at night where they will consummate their marriage.
- What does Friar Lawrence mean when he says, “These violent delights have violent ends…”?
“These violent delights have violent ends…” in real sense the Friar Lawrence was trying to advice Romeo that he should moderate his love towards Juliet otherwise they love will end in violent.
- Use an adjective or and adverb to describe Friar Lawrence’s role in Romeo and Juliet’s relationship.
Friar Lawrence plays a major role of as advisor. His friendship to both Romeo and Juliet shows us the sour relationship between the Montagues and the Capulets their children. In him we can see a failed parental love between their children.
Spark PublishingA Division of Barnes & Noble 120
Fifth Avenue New York,
NY 10011 www.sparknotes.com