Importance of Intensive Care
- It is important and special to care for a nearly-drowned child to increase their chances of survival. Through intensive care, any form of complexity that the child experienced when they drowned can be managed.
- Standard medicine is complex in that it can possibly results in errors whereby during the operation, an infection occurs or the doctors makes a simple mistake or the machines fail to operate as required leading to the death of someone. Anthony DeFilipo’s story exemplifies the complexity in that after his liver failed, he developed a bladder infection and the kidney had stopped working, he still managed to survive. This was as a result of having super-specialized that handles such cases.
- Medicine is specialized because of its power to save the life of someone who is already half dead.
- The pilot checklist was developed after an Army plane crashed immediately after taking off and ended up killing five people including the pilot (Gawande, 2007). There was no evidence of mechanical problem, but they identified pilot error as the cause of the accident.
- A simple approach is better for experts who are reluctant of using it compared to the complex approach because studies have shown that it indicates the advancement levels of the aeronautics. It also provides them with steps for taking-off, landing and taxiing which minimizes errors that pilot often makes.
- The results of the Peter Pronovost’s initial IV line checklist revealed that the nurses did not adhere to all the steps/requirements since most often they skipped one or more of the steps putting the lives of patients at a risk of line infection (Gawande, 2007).
- The Keystone Initiative involved the use of chlorhexidine soap to reduce the line infections (Gawande, 2007). The reasons the initiative worked was because of the little stupid checklist that was used as a guide on how the nurses and other health practitioners carried their operations.
- Checklists are simple methods thus conflicts greatly with the image of a hero thus the reason for misgivings and ignorance of the steps.
- The essential reasons for the checklists improvement of performance is because it was simple steps that required cleanliness and care among specialists as they conducted operations on patients.
- The results of the Keystone Initiative was impressive because it helped in decreasing the level of infections in ICU by ninety percent while saving millions of dollars that could have been used by the hospital to care for the patient (Gawande, 2007).
- Checklist should be initiated in other areas of medicine because it has been found to be effective.
Gawande, A. (2007, Dec 10). The checklist. The New Yorker.