Dependent Personality Disorder
Dependent Personality disorder is a mental health condition that is characterized by the tendency of people to depend on others for their physical and emotional needs. It is one of the most common types of personality disorders that most people are diagnosed with today. It is prevalent in both men and women. This condition makes the patient to be submissive and viewed to be more of ‘clingy’ to the person (s) whom they are dependent on. In such a case, the person suffering from the condition feels that he or she cannot live without the help of the other people.
Symptoms of Dependent Personality Disorder
People who suffer from Dependent personality disorder cling to other for emotional support and as a result often try to please them in many ways just to keep enjoying the support. Such people always fear separation and cannot imagine their lives without others. Below are the symptoms that can tell if one is suffering from this condition:
- Inability to make decision including even everyday decisions on what to put on without getting advice or reassurance from other people.
- Avoidance of responsibilities for adults under the pretence of being helpless or passive
- Intense fear of being abandoned and a sense of helplessness whenever relationships come to an end. The patient will often move into another relationship immediately one ends.
- Oversensitivity to criticism
- Fear of disagreements with others on grounds that he or she may lose approval or support
- Willingness to tolerate mistreatment and abuse from other people provided that the relationship does not end
- Placing the needs of those whom he depends on above his
- Inability to begin projects or take initiatives personally due to lack of confidence
People who suffer from Dependent personality disorder often want to feel so naïve and spend most of their times fantasizing. Most lack self confidence such that they believe that they cannot take care of themselves.
Causes of Dependent Personality disorder
The exact cause of Dependent personality disorder is not known. However, it is believed to stem from developmental and biological factors. Certain researchers have revealed that overprotective or authoritarian style of parenting can cause the development of the personality disorder.
Diagnosis and Treatment
The diagnosis of Dependent personality disorder requires a professional mental health practitioner like a psychiatrist or psychologist. The process involves an evaluation of the psychiatric and medical history of the patient. It must be noted the diagnosis process for this personality disorder does not involve any form of laboratory test. However, the doctor may apply a variety of other diagnostic tests like interviews and assessments in order to study the symptoms and determine if the patient is truly suffering from the condition.
Just like in the case with other personality disorders, a person who has been diagnosed with Dependent personality disorder is placed under psychotherapies over a given duration of time.
The piece of work above is an illustration of how a standard essay paper should be written. At Essays Experts
, we are the professionals in academic research writing that you can always rely on for high quality papers. Our expertise is manifested in all disciplines and levels of study so that you can always get the papers that you want at your own convenience.